What is the best route to Amami Oshima Island? Let's compare the estimated travel times and prices for different departure cities and find the most comfortable access method for you!
You should also check out how to get to the city center of Amami Oshima.
- 1 Which is the best way to get to Amami Oshima: by air or by ferry?
- 2 How to get to Amami Oshima: From Tokyo
- 3 How to get to Amami Oshima: From Osaka
- 4 How to get to Amami Oshima: From Fukuoka
- 5 How to get to Amami Oshima: only via flights to/from Nagoya
- 6 How to get to Amami Oshima: Comparison of flights and ferries to and from Kagoshima
- 7 Getting to Amami Oshima: Comparing flights and ferries to and from Okinawa
- 8 How to get to the city center from Amami Airport, Naze Port or Koniya Port
- 9 summary
Which is the best way to get to Amami Oshima: by air or by ferry?
Amami Oshima is a remote island in Kagoshima Prefecture, located right in the middle of Kagoshima and Okinawa Island. The island has the third largest area of any remote island in Japan, after Okinawa Island and Sado Island in Niigata Prefecture.
You can get to Amami Oshima by airplane or by ferry. Let's check out the convenience of each!
Take a plane to Amami Oshima
You can fly with "JAL Group", "Peach", and "Skymark". The JAL Group includes Japan Air Commuter (JAC), Japan Air (J-AIR), and Ryukyu Air Commuter (RAC).
ities with direct flights include "Tokyo", "Osaka", "Fukuoka", "Kagoshima", and "Okinawa", and depending on other areas and time zones, it may be convenient to go through Kagoshima.
Take a ferry to Amami Oshima
If you want to go to Amami Oshima by ferry, you can take the "Kagoshima route" between Kagoshima New Port and Okinawa Island, or the "Kikai route" from Kagoshima New Port via Kikai Island.
The Kagoshima route is operated by Maruei Ferry and Marix Line in daily shifts, and the Kikai route is operated by Amami Kaiun.
In conclusion, with the entry of LCCs, direct flights are by far the most convenient and comfortable way to travel in terms of both time required and price. If you want to visit the Amami Islands and enjoy the boat trip, you should use the ferry.
Check out the travel times and prices from each city below, too!
How to get to Amami Oshima: From Tokyo
Both Haneda and Narita have one direct flight per day, which arrives at Amami Oshima in the afternoon. The advantage of the flight via Kagoshima is that instead of taking longer, you can arrive in the morning, which allows you to spend more time in Amami Oshima.
- Haneda Airport (approx. 2 hours and 20 minutes) JAL 1 flight per day (Approximate one-way fare: Advance booking 17,390 yen and up)
- Narita Airport (approx. 3 hours) peach 1 flight per day (Approximate one-way fare: Simple Peach from 5,990 yen)
Via flight (Haneda - via Kagoshima - Amami Oshima)
- Haneda Airport (approx. 3 hours 50 minutes) Skymark Airlines 1-2 flights per day (approximate one-way fare: now 10,190 yen or more)
JAL also offers a connection from Haneda Airport via Kagoshima. You can arrive at Amami Oshima in the morning and have more choices of departure time.
How to get to Amami Oshima: From Osaka
There is one direct flight per day from both Itami and Kansai airports, arriving at Amami Oshima in the morning.
- Itami Airport (about 1 hour and 45 minutes) JAL 1 flight a day (Approximate one-way fare: Super Sotochi 8,260yen～)
- Kansai Airport (about 1 hour and 45 minutes) peach 1 flight a day (Approximate one-way fare: Simple Peach 4,790 yen and up)
In addition, JAL offers a connecting flight from Itami Airport via Kagoshima. If you use this service on the return trip, you can extend your stay in Amami Oshima.
How to get to Amami Oshima: From Fukuoka
If you want to take a direct flight, you need to arrive at Fukuoka Airport around 6:30 in the morning. Therefore, it is not suitable for connecting flights.
- Fukuoka Airport (about 1 hour and 15 minutes) JAL system, 1 flight per day (approximate price for one-way trip: Super Sotochi 13,710 yen and up)
How to get to Amami Oshima: only via flights to/from Nagoya
There are no direct flights to Amami Oshima from Nagoya. Take a Skymark flight via Kagoshima.
Transit flights (Chubu - via Kagoshima - Amami Oshima)
- Chubu Airport (about 3 hours 10 minutes to 4 hours 30 minutes) Skymark Airlines 2 flights a day (approximate price for one-way trip: now 8,340 yen and up)
How to get to Amami Oshima: Comparison of flights and ferries to and from Kagoshima
Kagoshima is the most convenient transit point from each city where there are no direct flights. Let's compare this with the ferry service to and from Kagoshima.
- Kagoshima Airport (approx. 1 hour) JAL 6-8 flights a day (approx. one-way fare: Super First Class 10,100 yen or more)
- Kagoshima Airport (about 1 hour)Skymark Airlines: 2 flights a day (approximate one-way fare: 3,800 yen or more)
- Kagoshima "Shinko" → Amami Oshima [Naze] port (approx. 11hr) (2nd class 9,220yen)
- Kagoshima "Shinko" → Kikaishima via → Amami Oshima [Naze] port (approx. 14hr) (2nd class 9,220yen)
- Kagoshima "Shinko" →via Kikaijima →Amami Oshima "Koniya Port" (approx. 17hr 30min) (2nd class 10,580yen)
This ferry connects Kagoshima with the main island of Okinawa. There is one ferry every day, both inbound and outbound.
＊Student discount" and "Discount between Amami Islands" are available.
＊Fuel oil price adjustment fee is required separately. 630 yen between Kagoshima and Amami Islands. (As of August 1, 2021)
＊Please note that flights may be reduced or cancelled, or ports of call may be changed due to weather conditions. Please check each company's website to confirm flight status.
Getting to Amami Oshima: Comparing flights and ferries to and from Okinawa
Compared to Kagoshima, it is more expensive and has fewer flights. Also compare with ferries to and from the main island of Okinawa.
- Naha Airport (about 1 hour) JAL system, 1 flight per day (approximate price for one-way trip: Ultra-advanced 14,320 yen~)
Okinawa "Naha Port" → Amami Oshima "Nase Port" (approx. 13 hours 30 min.) (2nd class 7,720 yen) This ferry connects Kagoshima "Shin Port" with Okinawa Main Island "Naha Port", with one ferry service every day both up and down. In addition to Naha, the ferry also stops at Motobu Port in the northern part of Okinawa Main Island.
＊The above prices are based on the "Amami-Okinawa Exchange Discount". Student discounts are also available.
＊Fuel oil price adjustment fee is required separately. 240 yen between Naha and Amami Islands. (As of August 1, 2021)
Please note that flights may be reduced or cancelled, or ports of call may be changed due to weather conditions. Please check each company's website to confirm flight status.
How to get to the city center from Amami Airport, Naze Port or Koniya Port
The following is an introduction to how to get to the city center upon arrival in Amami Oshima. Since there are no trains on Amami Oshima, the basic means of transportation are "local buses", "rental cars" and "cabs".
Here we will check out how to get to the largest downtown area of Amami Oshima, "Nase City Center" and to "Koniya City Center" in Setouchi Town at the southern tip of Amami Oshima. On the other side of the island, there are remote islands such as Kakeroma Island, Kojima Island, and Yorojima Island. Koniya is a base town from which the town's regular boats depart.
By local bus: Shimabus
- Amami Airport - Naze city center (approx. 55 min.): 1,100 yen for adults (550 yen for children)
- Amami Airport - Koniya city center (approx. 2 hours and 15 min.): Adult: 2,500 yen (child: 1,250 yen)
The unlimited one-day bus pass allows you to ride the bus as many times as you want for 2,100 yen for adults (1,050 yen for children). There are also 2-day and 3-day passes available, so you can conveniently use them according to your travel plans.
In a rental car
- Amami Airport - Naze city center (approx. 45 min.)
- Amami Airport - Koniya city center (approx. 1hr 40min)
- Naze Port - Naze City (about 15 min.)
- Koniya Port - Koniya City Area（5min.)
If you take a cab
Cabs are available only at Amami Airport and Naze Port, and there are basically no cruising cabs. When using a cab, call the cab company and ask for one.
In addition to the comfortable direct flights, there are also flights via Amami Oshima that allow you to spend more time in the island and ferries that allow you to enjoy visiting the islands.
Amami Oshima is an island where much of the island is forest. Enjoy your time on the island full of charms, such as outdoor activities in the nature-rich mountainous areas and diving in the beautiful sea with coral reefs!
＊The flight schedule and fees are subject to change. Please check the website of each company in advance.
- JAL https://www.jal.co.jp/
- Peach https://www.flypeach.com/
- skymark https://www.skymark.co.jp/
- A-Line Ferry https://www.aline-ferry.com/
- marixline https://marixline.com/
- shimabus https://shimabus.co.jp/