There are two main ways to get to Amami Oshima from Tokyo.
One is a direct flight that allows you to go easily without any connections by air. The other is a flight from Haneda or Narita Airport to Amami Oshima via Kagoshima Airport and then by ferry or plane.
If you live in the Tokyo metropolitan area (Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, and Yamanashi prefectures), you can take a direct flight from either Narita or Haneda airports, or via Kagoshima airport.
For direct flights to Amami Oshima, you can use JAL at Haneda Airport and peach at Narita Airport. If you are flying via Kagoshima Airport, you can also use Skymark or JAC (Japan Air Commuter).
This article summarizes the most popular ways to get from Narita Airport to Amami Oshima Island.
How to get to Amami Oshima from Narita Airport by direct flight
Direct flights from Narita Airport to Amami Oshima are available through the airline peach. although there is only one round trip per day, it is a quick and easy way to get to Amami Oshima since there are no connections.
- Travel time: about 3 hours
- Timetable: Departure time 10:15 - Arrival time 13:15 (Flight schedule is subject to change. Please check the airline's website in advance.)
- Approximate fare: From about 5,990 yen for a one-way trip with the Simple Peach Plan (Please check the website for the latest fare.)
How to get to Amami Oshima from Narita Airport via Kagoshima Airport
Other than direct flights, there is another way to get to Amami Oshima via Kagoshima Airport. After arriving at Kagoshima Airport, fly or take a ferry to Amami Oshima.
You will need to make a connection, but since there are many ferries, you can go according to your own schedule. The ferry also provides a unique opportunity to enjoy a trip by sea.
From Narita Airport to Kagoshima Airport (via peach)
- Travel time: about 2 hours and 5 minutes
- Approximate fare: From about 5,890 yen for a one-way trip with Simple Peach
In addition to peach, other airport companies such as Jetstar and Skymark can be used from Narita Airport to Kagoshima Airport. You may want to consider them according to their prices and schedules.
From Kagoshima Airport to Amami Oshima
When flying from Kagoshima Airport to Amami Oshima, JAC (Japan Air Commuter) and Skymark can be used.
- Travel time: approx. 1 hour
- Approximate fare: JAC's "Ultra First Price" is from about 9,900 yen for a one-way trip, and Skymark's "Now Price" is from about 3,600 yen for a one-way trip.
(Please check each airline's website for the latest information on timetables and prices.)
Aside from airplanes, there are also ferries that connect Kagoshima and Amami Oshima, so you should make use of them. Maruei Ferry and Marix Line run one ferry a day, alternating daily.
- Travel time: approx. 11 hours
- Timetable: Departure time: 18:00 - arrival time: 05:00, or departure time: 17:30 - arrival time: 07:00
- Approximate fare: Special class 23,050 yen, 1st class 18,440 yen, 2nd class 9,220 yen, student discount 7,380 yen (Maruei Ferry does not offer special class)
(Please check each ferry company's website for the latest information on timetables and prices.)
We have introduced two ways to get to Amami Oshima from Narita Airport: direct flights and via Kagoshima Airport.
Direct flights are considered to be the most popular because they can get to Amami Oshima easily. On the other hand, some flights via Kagoshima Airport can arrive at Amami Oshima in the morning, which allows passengers to spend more time in Amami Oshima.
The ferry will also allow you to enjoy the unique sea of Amami Oshima, which will be very refreshing. Each way of getting to Amami Oshima has its own merits, so choose the best way based on the purpose of your trip and your individual plans!